Sunday, June 17, 2007

Daddy's girl...


me and my daddy last year
Since it's Father's Day, I figured there was no better time to talk (and brag a little too) about my daddy. I wish it were possible for me to keep track of how many times someone has come up to me and said things like, "your dad is one of the greatest guys I know!," or "your dad is awesome!," etc. etc. Hearing these things NEVER gets old. I have found it hard to just respond with a "thank you." I usually say "Oh, I know he is..." and then I will proceed to brag even more about my dad. I can't help it. What can I say? I'm proud to be his daughter and I want everyone to know that I think he's even MORE awesome than they think! :) Those of you who know my dad (or even if you've only met him once or twice or seen him around), know how amazing he is. It's no wonder he was voted "Friendliest Man" for 2 years in my hometown. Hahaha. Seriously, he's the best. I could write a novel about the things that he's taught me during my 26 years of life. Some of the most important things I've learned from him have been by his actions. He is a man of Christ, and that is evident in my dad's daily life. He and my mom have a marriage unlike any other I've ever seen and I emulate their relationship. He has truly set the ultimate example of a Godly husband, and I pray daily that if it is God's will for me to marry one day, I will be blessed with someone as amazing as my father. What a blessing that would be!!
I have always considered my dad to be extremely dedicated, hard working, loyal, loving, (and the list could go on and on), but it's really been over the past 3 years or so that I have become even more aware of the loyalty he has to his family. My grandfather (Dad's dad) battled Alzheimer's for nearly 3 years. I have never seen 2 men more willing to care for their father the way my dad and uncle were with Dada. They went above and beyond what anyone could have expected of them. Because of Daddy, my Uncle Bobby, Nana, and the incredible Hospice care that was provided, my sweet Dada was able to be cared for in the comfort of his own home during the last few years of his life. Whenever Nana encountered a problem, my dad would drop whatever he was doing, wherever he was, to be there for Dada. Eventually Dada got to the point where he could not communicate or do anything by himself, but there was a look that he would give my dad and uncle, letting us all know how thankful he was for having 2 terrific sons. I'm telling you, my dad is unbelievable. It was tough on my dad, uncle, and grandmother, and I know it would have been so easy to just give up on him and put him in a nursing home. But they wouldn't hear of it. In fact, when I would ask my dad about what it was like to care for Dada, he would simply reply with "It's a blessing. I'm glad to do it and wouldn't have it any other way," rather than, "oh it's so hard and tough, and I'm so busy with work, etc." He never once complained about it, even though I know it's one of the hardest things he's ever done (physically, mentally, and emotionally).
me and my sweet Dada last summer
This is my first father's day without Dada (he passed away in November of last year), and my dad's first father's day without his dad. It's been a tough past few months for me and the rest of my family without Dada, but I'm so grateful to have lived in the same town as he did. I was able to see him nearly everyday, and the times I spent just talking to him (with him being unable to talk back), holding his hand, telling him stories about my day, etc. are precious to me. I was much closer to my grandfather than most are to their grandparents and I'm thankful to have so many wonderful memories of him to hold on to. He was the biggest fighter I've ever known. He would be 90 this summer (wow), and I miss him every day, especially on a day like today...Father's Day.
this is one of the few pictures I have of my Papaw holding me (I'm the baby on the right, and the girl on the left is my cousin, Adelia). I have this picture framed in my house. :)
I was also fortunate to have had another amazing grandfather (mom's dad), who unfortunately passed away 20 years ago. I didn't have a chance to get to know him as I wish I could have, but I DO know that he was also an incredible man of God. He, too, loved his family so much and was a wonderful example to all who knew him. I think of him often, too, and it was only appropriate that I give him the recognition he so much deserves today.

Happy Father's Day to all of you dads out there! :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

YaYa--Everything you said about Tommy Mack, aka @ SqueegyMan, Luigi, etc. is TRUE....LJLL

Anonymous said...

I wish you could've known Papaw like I did. Next to my Dad he was the greatest man on earth. Love ya,

Anonymous said...

you do have a great dad. we share that commonality. i miss you.
-mere

Anisa said...

your dad is a wonderful man, and he truly is one of the friendliest people ever! starkville is lucky to have him as a pillar in the community.

Unknown said...

stop it.

crying in the office.

The Segrest Family said...

all i'm gonna say is that you look H-O-T in the picture with your daddy!