Monday, November 24, 2008

2 posts? In one day?

Blogging is something I enjoy doing especially when I have extra time on my hands. Fortunately, time is something I have a lot of this week! Enjoy post #2 of the day.
This is Thanksgiving week. It is a time to spend with family and friends and reflect on the important things in life. For me, it's a time (as I previously posted) to express my appreciation to those most important to me.
In addition to the important people in my life, I also have several possessions which I consider to be of utmost importance. These are the things in life which will forever hold a special place in my heart for different reasons. Allow me to share some of my most valuable possessions.
1. This dress. Perhaps you know the story about it and if not, you should click here and read. Mom smocked this dress for me (obviously when I was just a wee little girl). Looking at this dress hanging in my closet makes me smile, and while I'm not sure another "Laura" will ever have the privilege of wearing it, it will forever be a special dress to THIS Laura!

2. You know who once owned this little bitty rocking chair? My Dada. He was born in 1917, so I'm guessing this chair was made about that time. Before his death, I remember seeing this chair in my grandparents' garage and commenting on how much I liked it. Nana and Dada insisted that I take it, and I didn't argue! How special it is for me to have something that belonged to my precious grandfather so so so many years ago.

3. This is my "piddow" (translation: "pillow" ). Nana made this for me when I was a baby. Apparently I had to have my "piddow" in order to sleep. Now my piddow rests in Dada's rocking chair. Maybe one day I will have a daughter who will appreciate this precious pillow.

4. Quite sometime after the pillow was made (my college graduation to be more specific), Nana made me a Tshirt quilt. She asked me to chose some of my favorite sorority Tshirts. (Let's be honest, while college shirts may have significance, how often do you really want to WEAR them after college?). She ingeniusly used these tshirts to make a quilt! She spent weeks and weeks on this blanket, which was given to me as a college graduation gift. It's one of my favorite gifts ever. I actually sleep with it every night. It's cozy, is filled with fun memories, and was handmade by one of the most important people in my life. (She stitched her name and the year on the back, making it even more special).


5. My birthstone ring. This was given to me by my aunt and uncle as a highschool graduation gift. I wear it as my "everyday ring," and hope to one day pass it down to someone special!



6. Last but not least, here's my best buddy. I realized today just how happy I am to have him. He was gone ALL DAY getting groomed, and I absolutely hated being at my house without him. I called 2 different times to see if I could come get him early because I was missing him so badly. Pathetic? Maybe, but I wouldn't be who I am without this little guy! :) (Doesn't he look handsome with his new cut?)

'Tis the season to be thankful!

7 comments:

Laura @ our messy messy life. said...

I clicked back and read about your wonderful mama.....so glad you got your dress back. That would have definately been my favorite dress, too!!

The Stringers said...

I really loved this post, BUT I have to be honest...you have WAY too much time on your hands this week. If you get TOO bored come on over to Hummingbird Lane... I have lots of cookin', cleanin', clothes washin', diaper changin', dog walkin' and decoratin' to do.

Mrs. McMillen said...

love that t-shirt quilt!!

The Robertsons said...

Melita is so awesome! It is not fair that you have time to do 2 blog posts. Landon will never be allowed to sit in that chair. I am so scared he will be the one to break it.

Jack, Emily, SB & Annie said...

such a sweet post! loved it. i agree with the stringers though. next time you have that much time on your hands, come spend some time chasing SB around so i can blog a little.

Unknown said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA MAX'S HAIRCUT!
He went from marsh-mellow fluffy man to little bitty crazy dog! He looks so handsome. :)

I love this post. I have my Heather dress somewhere. I believe at the 'rents home. I love it.

And I will add to Emily and Emily's response: Too much time? COME TO THE BURG.

feeling cute in your orange sweater...
love!

Anonymous said...

Yaya, Is the smocked dress the one you had on when you fell in the ant bed? Mrs. K