Saturday, August 4, 2007

She's amazing and that's all there is to it...

OK, so do you remember last week when I posted an old picture of me, my sisters, and my cousin, all wearing matching dresses that my wonderful mother smocked for us? If you recall, I told you that recently, we found Kristen and Heather's dresses in an old trunk in the attic, but mine was MIA. You have to understand, this was my absolute favorite dress to wear when I was little. I LOVED it and was a little upset that mine wasn't there.
Anyway, come to find out, my mom had actually GIVEN MINE AWAY years ago to a lady who had a little girl who was also named Laura (this family moved away many many years ago). I of course told mom that obviously meant that she liked K and H more than she liked me (haha...I'm exaggerrating quite a bit!). Needless to say, I have NOT let my mom forget about this. I wanted my dress back.
WELL, the story doesn't end here, my friends. My mother, being the geniusly wonderful person that she is, actually got on the internet and somehow FOUND the email address of the woman with the dress. She emailed her, asked her if she still had the dress, and asked her to please MAIL IT so that she can give it back to me. Wow. (Note: the "other" Laura is in college now, so I'm pretty sure she's not still needing the dress). The lady actually FOUND the dress in her attic and mailed it to my mom. Mom showed up at my door yesterday afternoon with a package containing this precious little dress. My question is: how many people out there would go to ALL of this trouble to make their daughter's day? It really is one of the most thoughtful things that anybody's ever done for me. Seriously. I can tell you that I will keep that dress in a safe place, treasure it FOREVER, always remembering the fabulous story behind it. :) I love my mom.
Note to all mothers out there: be careful before you start giving away your child's things...you never know what kind of trouble it can get you in later in life! :)

10 comments:

Adelia said...

Go Aunt Lita! I'm so excited you have it back. If we ever have daughters we have to take a picture of them in our dresses no matter what their names are!

The Manning Family said...

How sweet a mama you have to track down that cherised dress! Sounds like she's one in a million!! :)

The Ueltschey's said...

That is so so sweet. I am glad that the MIA dress has been found and returned to it's original owner :)

Jason, Cathy, Claire, Grey, and Nate said...

How sweet! Your mom is the greatest!

Jenny said...

gotta love melita!! how sweet!!

The Segrest Family said...

bless her.
this is why i need a girl =)
i have gone all out with 'sentimental' things - baby books, writing a journal to camp and to nash.. but we know that boys don't care about that stuff..

The Benjamins said...

Your Mama is the best! That is the cutest story! So glad you have it back!

Unknown said...

i love mama.
she would.

Anonymous said...

Hey Laura!

I remember you as a little girl. My Laura thought it was soo cool to have another Laura around. She also loved the dress and wore it often. As you can see, we let the hem down a couple of times so she could wear it longer. She loved your mom! She longed for the day that she could join the Preschool Choir that Melita taught!! I have a picture of her the day she got a letter from Melita telling when the choir would meet. She was all smiles. I will never forget it!! She has a beautiful voice and uses it for God's glory often. (Thanks to her great start with Melita in Preschool Choir!) I am glad I found the dress and bag for you. You do have a very special mom!!!

Leeta Stevens :)

JordanandSaundersRamsey said...

LT you are mess!!! haha!