Tuesday, October 2, 2007

tragic day in the life of Starkville...

ATTENTION ANYONE WHO LIVES/HAS LIVED IN STARKVILLE:
I hope you are sitting down and prepared for what I'm about to say. TCBY is no more. That's right. Gone.
James and were driving down Russell St. the other day when I look over and see the TCBY sign replaced with "Cool Scoops." I was in shock and immediately began making phone calls to see what in the world was going on. Those of you who know me, understand my love for this place and know that this is not a joke to me. Now, I don't know who's responsible for this ridiculous action and they better hope that I don't find out any names. This is serious stuff. I know I shouldn't assume that the yogurt is going to taste drastically different. Maybe they simply just changed the name while having the same treats. I'm still mad about this, however. I can't help it.
I've spent hours of my life and hundreds of dollars at this place ever since I was a child. Not only is the yogurt the absolute best, but it's also low-fat, so it's somewhat guilt free (unless you're like me and load up on oreos or peanut butter cups). Any way you look at it, going to TCBY was a treat for me and it will be greatly missed. This is and has always been a major college spot, so I know that there will be some angry students when they return from fall break.
I have considered quitting my teaching job to open a new TCBY in a different location. After much thought, however, I've decided that this probably would not be the best idea because:
-I know nothing about opening a business.
-The thought of working nights and weekends makes me want to vom.
-I would eat out of the topping containers, thus, causing me to gain several pounds weekly.
-I would be a terrible boss.
So, unless Katey can convince me that she and I can do this together, it may never happen.
This affects a lot of you out there, so go ahead and leave a comment regarding this. Tell me how you really feel.
Maybe we can all start a petition or something.

26 comments:

Unknown said...

i don't even know what to say. This is more than bad news. I used to have them call the house when they got pumpkin yogurt in. tragic, no doubt.

The Benjamins said...

That is so sad! I love their vanilla with cookie dough!

Jack, Emily, SB & Annie said...

I cannot BELIEVE this! I had no idea. are you going to try the new place or boycott it?

Crystal and Billy said...

NO WAY!!! Billy and I stop there every time we are in Starkville...now where will we go?

Jason, Cathy, Claire, Grey, and Nate said...

The TCBY by our house closed down the other day. I was so sad... they didnt even bother to make it into anything else. How depressing!

Sarah Mae said...

That is sad news. Let's move into action!

LWolfe said...

talk me down....i might jump!!! this is aweful!!!!!!!! can you believe we only have 1 TCBY in all of metro nashville. 1!! what is this world coming to? i weep for you, LT.

LWolfe said...

ok, i take that back about the 1 thing. we in fact have 4, but none are close to me!!!

Adelia said...

This is a devastating tragedy. ANd I've never even lived in Starkville. But I did think that it was the best one I'd been too. I'm really sad. I remember Lita and Uncle T taking us after going swimming at the country club.

Anisa said...

what the ^%#@?!!!!!

i am in shock and livid. i will sign any petition. this is a TRAVESTY!!!!!

Anonymous said...

hmmm... what a sad day. i must say that i am glad that you blogged about it. what a let down it would be to come home for christmas and have the country's best yogurt vanished.

Marty said...

WHAT?!? I just ate there last weekend! I cannot believe it. What will I do without Blueberry Cheesecake? and Chocolate with rainbow sprinkles??? unbelievable. Well, I'm glad I got to visit its deathbed. That was morbid, but so is this closing nonsense!

Marty said...

WHAT?!? I just ate there last weekend! I cannot believe it. What will I do without Blueberry Cheesecake? and Chocolate with rainbow sprinkles??? unbelievable. Well, I'm glad I got to visit its deathbed. That was morbid, but so is this closing nonsense!

Marty said...

Tupelo doesn't have one either, and the did when I was a child. Now all we have is Yummy Yogurt. Jackson doesn't have a TCBY. Could this signal the rapture?

Sam H said...

Coldstone's better anyways. No sympathy here....

Katherine's gonna flip out, though.

Kelley and Laura McWhirter said...

this cannot be allowed to happen. and don't tell me that coldstone makes up for TCBY...no way! what is starkville coming to??

Unknown said...

i have told several of my friends in Hattiebsurg of this tragedy. that send their best.

I will make the t-shirts for the protest.

Anonymous said...

MAx... Can you believe all this BS? I mean, my mama is sad. It's cool, though, because I got Scooby Snacks for my birthday.
Rock on.
Pink is my favorite color.
XOXO- Sophie

adteacher said...

Laura,

I thought the day they stopped letting me order a "junior shiver" was bad enough....this news is almost too much to handle. I'm glad I live up here in Memphis (a TCBY safehaven some might say)...we have TCBY's out the wazoo! Maybe I can convince one of them to move down to Starkville...after all, where will I get yogurt when I come back to visit my alma mater?

Alison said...

i just don't know what katey overstreet is going to do! that's where camp practices his colors by looking at the m&m's. i'll blame tcby if his scholastic achievements plunge because of this.

Anonymous said...

I have just felt overwhelming emotion. I regret us not being able to meet for one last sit-down at TCBY when I was in town. This is a disgrace. I think I feel my eyes getting somewhat watery. (spelling? word? whatever.) Where in the world will I go now for vanilla with colored sprinkles? No one else has colored sprinkles. Please keep us updated after your thorough investigation of this situation. From yogurt crimes to horrid misspellings, LT is our gal!

Colby and Daniel said...

I cannot believe that!! I don't come to Starkville often, but I always hit up the TCBY! I may have to go into mourning!

Christi said...

I just found you through Candy's blog. Now I wish I hadn't! I LOVE TCBY and they closed all over Jackson, too. We only have one in a ghetto gas station that I won't go to without a bodyguard. Unless I have a huge craving....
GAH!

The Robertsons said...

Baskin Robbins rules! What are you going to do? Maybe you should move to Desoto county. We have a TCBY here.

Krystal said...

mom said she talked to a girl that works there. they were not even told about it, but when they were the understanding is that they would still serve the same stuff. but they were not completely sure. i hope ours up here stays open.

LT (and Max) said...

thanks for the update krystal...
i'm doing my best to get some inside scoop (no pun intended). as soon as i know something, i will update