Saturday, December 27, 2008

maybe I'll actually stick to them this time!

As the new year is quickly approaching, I've been thinking about resolutions. I've honestly never been one to take them too seriously, and if I DO make a few resolutions, I very rarely stick to them as I should. I've decided that I want to change that in '09. I've been thinking about my resolutions for a while, and I think that it's time that I share my resolutions with my blog readers.
So, here you go...
1. STOP BITING MY FINGERNAILS. It's a sick SICK habit that I've had nearly all my life. It's a resolution I've had for about the last 8 years. I'll do really well during the entire month of January, but that's about it. My nails grow fairly quickly, and I really do like it when they have a little length to them. SO WHY??? WHY CAN'T I STOP??
2. Take at least one trip via airplane every year starting in '09. I've mentioned this before, and this IS one I plan to stick with. I can probably count on just one hand (maybe one and a half hands) the number of times I've been a plane. Traveling is something I really do enjoy, but I don't do NEARLY enough.
Hmmm...where should I go in '09?
3. Give more to my church financially. I shouldn't say "it's hard for me to give what I should because I'm a teacher and I don't have a lot of money." Giving to my church should be my number one priority, and if that means giving up something else, so be it.
4. Train for a half marathon. This is quite possibly the one that I will try to talk myself out of. I've run several 5Ks, but nothing more than that. I've honestly never even run more than about 6 miles at one time, so 13.1 miles will be a challenge. I've been researching upcoming half marathons as well as training guides for me. I would really love to stick with this one.
That's really all for now. Even though it's only 4 resolutions, I'd say it's 4 pretty challenging ones! I'm going to count on you for encouragement!
Have you thought about YOUR resolutions??

3 comments:

Tassie said...

wow, you're brave. I don't think i could publish my resolutions so others could use it against me when I break them. Here are some thoughts:
1) I too bite my nails. A good way to help that is to go and get regular manicure. When they look nice, I tend to leave them alone.
2) Half-marathon-I think this is great. If you can do this...you should. If you are afraid it's too much, then make this one a two year resolution.
3) Traveling is great. My parents made me travel every summer. As a result, I've been to 49 states. I think a great place to go is the west coast. Lots of fun things to do over there and it's so different than MS.
4) Giving to the church-how can you go wrong there??

It was good seeing you! Enjoy the rest of your break!

theelliottfamily said...

Laura...Train with me. I have been training for the NOrleans 1/2, but can't get anyone to go and run with me. We could do the Nashville in the spring. I run in the mornings before work. Think about it!

Anonymous said...

Girl, you're too pretty to bite your nails; hands are what I notice first on people. In fact, I ran into my Humanities (senior yr) teacher from high school just before Katrina (30 years post graduation)...I recognized her hands, not her face! Wild, huh? By the way, we had a good holiday with your lil sis and my nephew...now it's y'all's turn! Aunt Darlene