Sunday, December 30, 2007

adios 2007 and hello to 2008!

It's so hard for me to believe that this year is coming to an end. This year has been a busy one full of many exciting events and even a few bumps in the road here and there. All in all though, it's been great one. God has taught me a lot this year. Have you ever experienced a trial so difficult that you thought that maybe you'd been forgotten? That God was ignoring you? For several years prior to 2007, I had several of these experiences. I thought that I was doomed just because my life wasn't going according to my plan. Sound familiar? You know the saying "when it rains it pours"? That's how I felt. Something bad would happen followed by something else bad. It seemed like a neverending process. During these times, I of course thought that I was the only person who'd ever experienced difficult times, when really it's just a PART OF LIFE. Everybody goes through hard times! It was during those times that I grew tremendously and became a much stronger person, even though at the time, I thought I was becoming weaker. I feel like I've become a different person in 2007. God has proven to me that He HASN'T forgotten about me and that he placed those obstacles in my life for a reason. I can say, without a doubt, that I am so grateful for those trials now. Do you know how weird (and amazing at the same time) it feels for me to say that now? I wouldn't be where I am now or the person I am now had I not experienced them. I now also have the faith and confidence to know that when I'm faced with another trial, I CAN get through them and learn from them.
If you're going through something difficult right now and believe that you're not going to get through it, let me assure you that you WILL. God hasn't forgotten about you.

There are a couple of different verses that I wrote on index cards as a daily reminder that when faced with a challenge, it can be overcome!

Habakkuk 2:3; "But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, wait patiently, for it will surely take place. It will not be delayed."

Psalm 40:1-3; "I waited patiently for the Lord to help me and he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walk along. He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what he has done and be astounded. they will put their trust in the Lord."

The sermon topic this morning at church was "Hope" and it really hit home with me. The wonderful pastor at my church read the lyrics to a very familiar hymn. Although I knew most of the words, it really spoke volumes to me this morning. You probably know it too, but I encourage you to reread them and think about the words:


ON CHRIST THE SOLID ROCK I STAND
My hope is built on nothing lessThan Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.
On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand...

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh may I then in Him be found.
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.
On Christ the solid Rock I stand...
On a lighter note and a complete subject change, I've compiled a list of a few of my faves from 2007. Drumroll please... :)
Favorite song in 07: "Everyday America" by Sugarland
Favorite movie in 07: nothing really comes to mind on this one...I did enjoy "We Are Marshall" although I'm not sure it was released this year. It's a sad one, but a good one.
Favorite new friends of 07: JR, Heather Simmonds, Katey Overstreet (I've known Heather and Katey longer than a year, but I've just become great friends with them this year! )
Favorite concert in 07: Please don't make me choose between George Strait (with Candy) and Sugarland (with JR)!! LOVED THEM BOTH!
Favorite musical group in 07: SUGARLAND!
Favorite purchase in 07: for myself? Probably my ipod. It was somewhat expensive, but I've definitely gotten my money's worth!
Favorite baby born in 07: Henry was born in Dec. of '06...can that count?? :)
Favorite TV show in 07: The Office. The Office. And The Office.
Favorite vacation spot of 07: the beach
Favorite photo taken in 07: Definitely this one...haha...GO DAWGS!
I'm looking forward to the second half of my Christmas vacation. My dear friend Claire said it best when she said something similar to this: "I love my students dearly, but I also love being away from them for a while." I think I'm getting a little taste of what it feels like in heaven. :)
Thank you God for a great 2007! (Oh yeah, and GO DAWGS!! 2007 LIBERTY BOWL CHAMPS!!!)
May God bless all of my blog readers in 2008! :)

6 comments:

The Overstreets said...

You are definitely one of my favorite parts of '07 too! Can't wait to hang out sometime this week!

Regina said...

Always.love.reading.your.posts! I hope you have a great second half of vacation! :) Oh, and keep the smilings coming.... :)

The Davidsons said...

Great post! Happy New Year to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

HNY, yaya!

Sugarland is not good.

the twins say "arf."

Sarah Mae said...

Happy New Year LT! I love you!

Tracy~ said...

This post actually made me tear up!

Thanks for writing it... I jotted those Bible verses down.

Happy New Year!