Tuesday, January 20, 2009

OUT with the old and IN with the new!

What a historical day it is today! My students are in music class right now, and I'm unsuccessfully trying to find a site in which I can watch some of the Inauguration. Several of the popular sites are blocked and a couple must just be too busy, because I just can't get through. Bummer.
I'm not one to talk politics on the blog, but it's no secret that I was not an Obama supporter. I, in fact, appreciated everything W did for our country, and I am sad to see him go. I think he endured so many trials during his presidency, and unfortunately ended his term as one of the least liked presidents ever. That saddens me. Disagree with me if you want, but I think many many years from now, he will be remembered as one of the BEST presidents of all time.
Now, about Obama. As of today, he IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES. As soon as he won the election, I decided that there's nothing I can do about it, and that I need to support him and give him the respect that I think ANY President deserves. I am looking forward to looking back and being proud of the things he has done for this country.Funny story...
Before I took my kids to music, our principal announced that some teachers were able to get a clear station on the TV in order to watch some of the inauguration events. I would definitely love for me students to be exposed to what's happening today, as this very could be a day they will always remember! Anyway, while flipping around on the TV and even attempting to "tilt" it to make it clear, I was only able to find one station that was even a little clear. So I went with it, telling my students to be patient, because I thought I had found what we were looking for. It was showing channel 27, which is Fox News here. After a few seconds, the picture was getting clearer, so I told my students to look at the TV, only to discover that I had been wasting my time getting the Maury Povich show. Oops. Some of the students asked if we could watch it, but I decided that it wasn't worth the risk of losing my job, so I quickly turned it off! (You really NEVER know what you might find on "Murry,", right Emily?).
Enjoy your day hopefully watching some of the events on TV. Perhaps you'll catch a good Maury episode...if you're lucky.

Farewell, my dear friend.

13 comments:

Jack, Emily, SB & Annie said...

HA! don't worry. murry was just doing more paternity tests today. no secret crushes or boot camp kids.

mary straton said...

I don't know about one of the BEST Presidents of all time, but I do think that people will get over their anger at W. They did for Reagan.

Wade's World said...

I too love Bush and think that history will show things differently for him. He had somee hard decisions to make, and he always did what he thought was best for that situation.

You need to drop by and see what I wrote about him yesterday.

http://tinyurl.com/7ktha5

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Be sure to find Rick Warrens "prayer" at the inauguration and listen - it was wonderful.

Ashley Jessie said...

Totally agree with what you said about Bush. Did you get my emails from last week? One came back to me for some reason.

Anonymous said...

I was unhappy when Bush was elected and I wish I could have had as good an attitude as you about not having my candidate in the White House. It's the hugest job and anybody who takes it on deserves respect, even when we disagree (which with 43 and me was most of the time.) God bless America.

Anonymous said...

I am so inspired by your positive attitude! (I bet you didn't know you did that for me!) I guess things will be better in the long run. I too love W and will miss him. I wish the "angry people" could see that he did what he felt was best for our country. Like you said, time will tell.

Tassie said...

This was a very funny story...thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you. I think it was simply the popular thing to hate Bush. He was better than some presidents and just as good as many others. Having said that, while I personally didn't vote for him, I will pray for and fully support President Obama right now, because he is our country's leader. I hope he does a good job; he certainly has a tough road ahead.

Tricia said...

Caleb is getting all of his med school class to go on and leave a comment. It is still so ON.

The Robertsons said...

Enjoy your rest, George W! My kids did not care anything about watching it. I was a little surprised.

Anonymous said...

I feel sorry for George; I think the media has crucified him. I liked him and thought him to be a respectable leader. I bet he could always sleep at night knowing he made the best decisions he could. We always remembered to pray for him; I think we should pray twice as hard for this new one. I don't think he has the deep convictions of his predecessor. (Thanks for the sweet note I found in the P.O. Box, too!) Aunt Darlene

Stanzx said...

Well said about our former President and New President. I couldn't agree more on both fronts. Nicely done on Maury.