Friday, January 16, 2009

A glimpse into the life of George Costanza.

Most of you know about the love (it's an obsession really) I have for Seinfeld—the best TV show of ALL time. I have seen every single episode aired during its 9 year life span multiple times each, and I continue to watch reruns daily on TBS. The show will never get old to me. I also have quite possibly the best Seinfeld trivia knowledge of anyone you’ll ever meet. I’ve been wanting to purchase the “Seinfeld Scene It” DVD game, but I can think of no one who could even stand a chance playing it with me. Well, OK...I suppose MSKS would be a good competitor. There’s also my friend Matthew, who actually owns the game and says “he could beat me any day”---bless his heart for even thinking such a thing. ;)
Anyway, if you’re at all familiar with the show (and probably even if you’re not), you know of George Costanza. He’s a pathetic, lazy loser, who I find impossible not to love. Things never really seem to go right for poor George, and it really is hard not to feel sorry for him.
I had an experience this morning that was so George-like, I was immediately reminded of one of my favorite Seinfeld episodes. I’m fully capable of providing a complete plot of this fabulous episode, but I’m going to let my good friend Wikipedia do it for me instead. Please PLEASE, if you’ve never seen that episode, click here and read about it. There’s no doubt in my mind that it’ll give you a chuckle or two. If it doesn't, then I'm just not sure my blog is your thing. =)
With that being said, allow me to share my George-like moment with you.
It all happened this morning. It’s…well…a time of the month in which chocolate is a complete necessity for me. More like a medication really. I don’t keep chocolate in my classroom for very obvious reasons. There’s always the option of going to the vending machine at school whenever these chocolate attacks hit me, but I don’t do vending machines for 2 reasons: 1. I rarely EVER have money---not even a couple of extra quarters and 2. 90% of vending machine items are so not good for you. I would normally rather ignore the temptation completely.
ANYWAY, this morning ( I refuse to tell you what time it was), I knew that I had to have
chocolate.
Nothing else would do. On this particular day, I had a nice crisp dollar bill just waiting to be spent. I rushed down to the vending machine, already tasting the M&M’s I was about to purchase. I made the haul to the machine, slid in the dollar bill, and carefully selected D1 (notice I said “carefully”---if I was just one button off, I would have selected pork skins. SICK. That would have been a total disaster!). I watch my M&M’s just as they are about to fall, when – GUESS WHAT?! They get stuck. WHAT??? The only thought in my head was: “THIS ISN’T HAPPENING TO ME!” I had honestly NEVER used that vending machine before.
What a terrible first impression it was giving me. I suddenly
realized that I’d become George in that infamous episode. Although, he was trying to get a Twix (which actually IS my favorite candy), our feelings were the same. We had a connection. I began yelling at the machine, shaking it, and doing everything that George did. (Well, everything except lie on the floor face down trying to find change under the machine). Fortunately, after what seemed like an eternity of panic, a fellow teacher came to my rescue, stuck some quarters in the machine, and out came my M&Ms. I ate the entire bag and I have no regrets.
There really are SOME days when chocolate is all that will work for me.
Now that I've shared my personal story, it's important that you learn some important lessons in today's post:
1. Seinfeld is very informative, as well as entertaining. You really can learn a lot from George.
2. Chocolate does the body good sometimes.
3. You should ALWAYS help a friend in need, especially if chocolate is involved.
Happy Friday to you, and for all of you who are lucky to have a 3 day weekend like myself, enjoy every second of it.

Until next time...which I am sure will be sooner than later!
LT

11 comments:

Tassie said...

I agree that Seinfeld is pretty awesome and I too have seen every episode....I am biased now and think that The Office is the better show. Hopefully we can still be friends!

AmyKnight said...

Adam LOVES Seinfeld. We watch it EVERY night. He has eyed that game on multiple occasions.

Anonymous said...

look free canday! that is def one of my fave episodes :) from putty to arbys to kramer trying to drive on an empty tank of gas, classic...

Anonymous said...

I was afraid you were going to reference the episode where George eats the eclair out of the trash can.

You forgot to mention how you keep ducking me every time I'm in Starkville. To ensure that it's a fair fight, I'll keep the box sealed up until you agree to face me. :)

The Shermans said...

I have so many George moments...I can relate. I hope the rest of your day improved.

Anonymous said...

your m&m's--peanut or plain? remember the Junior Mint episode? now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are...

Mrs. McMillen said...

i love seinfeld too! one of my friends got the scene it game for christmas, and we have played it TONS. it's a lot of fun...you should get it!

Tricia said...

Remember when I mailed bizarre Seinfeld letters to you anonymously? What a weird person I was.

Paul and Amanda: said...

Hey Laura, Glad I found you on here. Looks like things are going great for you. I hope you have a great 2009!

Tricia said...

Thanks for the second post- I am trailing behind you big time. I think you are going to win this one Laura.

Tracy~ said...

Seinfeld is my very favorite show - pure genius! The Office is a very close second!!!

I'm glad you got your m&m's - yum!

My favorite Seinfeld is the Pez dispenser episode :)