Tuesday, February 10, 2009

a long time coming...

Well, I did it. After seeing MSKS's list of her top 20 favorite songs of all time and feeling the pressure from her to create my own, I've finally done it. Not only was I told that creating this list was a MUST, but I was also told that they had to be in number order. Have you ever thought about it? I know a bazillion songs and have HUNDREDS of favorites. Plus, I like different genres of music, which only made choosing 20 favorites more difficult. I must say though, after looking at my list, I think I did pretty dang good. Sure, I'm a country music fanatic, but look closely and you'll see that I didn't really even choose too many country tunes for my list. To me, the songs I chose are classics---songs that will never get old to me.
I tried to really look at the lyrics to songs before choosing them for my list.
LET ME ASSURE YOU-doing this is much harder than you think!
OK (deep breath), here you go. My top 20 favorite songs of all time:

20. Hard to Say I’m Sorry (Chicago):
What can I say? I'm a sucker for the sappy stuff. I'm also a big fan of Chicago, proudly owning their 2 disk Greatest Hits album.

19. Just Called to Say I Love you (Stevie Wonder):
Stevie Wonder is fantastic. To me, this is a classic and one of which I will never get tired. I'm looking forward to the day that someone "just calls to say he loves me."

18. Just the Way You Are (Diana Krall)
There are many versions to this song. It's no secret that I'm a Billy Joel fan, and he'll make his appearance on this list shortly. I particularly like Diana Krall's version of this song best. She has a very soothing voice and she sings it fantastically.

17. Be Still, My Soul(Ginny Owens)
During the toughest times in my life, these lyrics have been an encouragement to me. It's a soft, sweet song that always comforts me. Sometimes the only words you need to hear are: "Be still, my soul, the Lord is on your side.." Never heard it? Download it. You won't regret. It's a great song, and Ginny Owens is amazing.

16. These are the Days (Jamie Cullum)
This is just a "fun" song that reminds me of summer ("...give me the taste, give me the joy of summer wine..."). Hearing this song always makes me smile. It's been a favorite since the first time I heard it.

15. At Last (Chill out, Etta, I like your version better).
What female DOESN'T like this one? Not much to say about it other than I LOVE it.

14. Over the Rainbow (Eva Cassidy)
There are oh so many versions of this song, so choosing a favorite version is tough. Eva stole my heart with her version. I was introduced to this artist by Claire, and my life has been changed since. I LOVE HER.

13. Settlin' (Sugarland)
You didn't actually think my top 20 would exclude Sugarland did you? My friend Heather coined this as my theme song, and I couldn't agree more. I turn it up everytime I hear it. I could put it on repeat and never get tired of it. Sing it, Jennifer.

12. New York State of Mind (Billy Joel)
I think I became instantly obsessed with this song. Billy Joel is a classic, and, in my opinion, it doensn't get much better than this guy.

11. I Know You By Heart (Eva Cassidy)
My friend Eva deservingly made my list twice. This song makes me want to lay in a hammock with a glass of wine. I'm not really sure why. I guess it just relaxes me that much. :) Wow. I love this song.

AND FOR THE TOP 10...

10. Tiny Dancer (Elton John)
Who doesn't love this one? As MSKS stated, "Elton John is a musical icon." I couldn't agree more. I saw him in concert with my buddy, Billy Joel, and the 2 of them together can put on quite an entertaining show to say least. I loved everything about it.

9. Fly (Sara Groves)
Sara Groves has one of the purest voices of anybody I've ever heard. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if I could have anybody's voice, I would choose hers. It's THAT good. And this song? You'll love it.

8. Sweet Caroline (Neil Diamond)
While I may not love Neil as much as Mere, "Sweet Caroline" has always been a favorite. It was a no brainer that this one was going on my list. In fact, this song makes me wish my name was Caroline.

7. Moon River (Peter Mayer)
This was actually a favorite that MSKS and I share. LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

6.Sweet Baby James (James Taylor of course)
It's just another one of those songs I want to keep on "repeat" all of the time. It just makes you feel good. James Taylor is another artist who will never get old to me.

5. Heavenly Day (Patty Griffin)
There was no doubt that this one would be in the top 5. Take time to listen to the lyrics. I'm listening to it right now actually. Download it for your ITunes NOW.

4. He’s Always been Faithful (Sara Groves)
Congrats, Sara, for also making my list twice. The very first few lines of this song hit me: "Morning by morning, I wake up to find, the power and comfort of God's hand in mine. Season by season, I watch him amazed, in awe of the mystery of His perfect ways. All I have need of, His hand will provide, He's always been faithful to me." It's a perfect song, and will hopefully be sung in my wedding one day.

3. Amarillo (George Strait)
Stop sweating, Candy, George made the list. :) Finding a favorite song of George's is tough, but in my opinion THIS is the best one. This is the one that Candy and I look forward to hearing the most at his concerts (all 5 that we've attended together). This is one sexy guy and when he sings THIS song? You wouldn't even believe it.

2. Piano Man (Billy Joel)
The all time best Billy Joel song. Period. I love everything about this song. I've heard it approximately 2,349,569 times and never get tired of it.

AND NOW FOR WHAT IS, IN MY OPINION, THE BEST SONG OF ALL TIME:

1. What a Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong)
This is the simplest, but best song ever written. It's not a long song, but to me, it's a simple reminder that even in the very WORST times, LIFE REALLY IS GOOD! It IS a wonderful world!
I just love it.

Wow. I did it. I really did it. This is something that has literally taken me WEEKS to do. Don't laugh at me until you actually try to come up with YOUR top 20 favorite songs!
And I'm going to tell you the same thing MSKS told me: don't give yourself a deadline on creating your list. Take your time, and share it when you're ready! :)
Good luck! I can't wait to read YOURS!

4 comments:

mary straton said...

what an excellent soul-searching exercise. I am thrilled with your content and execution.

Don't you feel like you shared something special with the world? I am most proud. And NOT a Nazi.

Jared and Brandy Verwiel said...

WOW! This is a terrific list! I don't think I could come up with the songs in order! I'm very proud of you and love all of the reasons why you chose each song!

Anonymous said...

I am proud of your efforts too! I couldn't do it myself.
This opens up a can of worms.....
#20--No
#19--NO, NO
#10 DEF! Yes!
#3--NO WAY!
The others are great. I just had to comment!

Adelia said...

I also love, love, love Elton John's Tiny Dancer! Great list!