Tuesday, February 17, 2009

a day in the life of a 2nd grade teacher...

Take a look...
I feel such sympathy for this lovely woman because this is EXACTLY WHAT I FELT LIKE TODAY. Why you ask? Allow me to explain.
1. It's been raining all day, which:
a). always causes the kids to be extra wild. ALWAYS.
b). means that there's no outside play time. It's painful for teachers AND students to stay cooped (or is it couped??) up inside all day.
2. My assistant wasn't at school. I sometimes forget how nice it is to have an extra hand in the room with 26 2nd graders. She does little things like: collect lunch money, take them to the restroom and special classes, assist with discipline etc. She's also there when I need to leave the room for a minute to use the restroom myself or whatever. I am lucky to have her and when she's not there, SHE'S MISSED!
3. We had lunch at an earlier time today, which:
a). meant the afternoon seemed longer
b). was a change in our normal schedule. Anything out of the routine causes them to go nuts.
4. I did not have a break today. Normally my kids have music class on Tuesdays, but if you refer back to #3, you'll remember that our lunch was earlier, therefore causing music to be missed. Huge bummer for the teacher. My kids did go to P.E., but that small amount of free time I had was spent in a parent/teacher conference.
Now, don't get me wrong--today couldn't be compared to Christmas party day, Halloween, or Valentine's Day. The difference is--YOU'RE PREPARED FOR THOSE DAYS! You know going into those days that they're going to be out of the norm and crazy. Days like today are unpredictable and therefore they seem more unbearable.
Needless to say, I was ready to pull my hair out at 3:30. I did however, manage to complete my 5 mile run (in the rain nonetheless), which made me feel better. Running always helps my stress level a bit, so it was thoroughly enjoyed, even though I looked like an idiot.
As for the rest of my evening? After my wet, cold run, I soaked in a hot bath, ate a little pasta and I plan on watching American Idol and maybe sipping on a glass of red wine.
After all, I think I deserve it... don't you? =)
Here's to hoping for a happy Wednesday (to you too)!

4 comments:

Melanie said...

Hope you have a nice relaxing evening.

Kelli said...

Sounds like a DAY! Don't know how you do it! BTW, California is AWESOME! We had a blast. You should DEFINITELY go when you get a chance! Amazing.

The Andersons said...

Haha. I feel you. The kids just were CRAZY today. Thank you for all of your math stuff today!! And for your lesson plans. :) We need a Tipico date. SOON. Love u!

Laura @ Our Messy Messy Life said...

Brings back memories.....tomorrow has to be better!!!