Sunday, January 6, 2008

hi ho, hi ho, it's back to work I go...

I have to go back to work tomorrow. Excited? Hardly.
I know, I know...I got over 2 weeks off so I shouldn't complain. Being a teacher, and getting such fabulous breaks, I've learned that the longer you're out of school, the HARDER IT IS TO GO BACK. Let it be said that every single day of my Christmas break was F A N T A S T I C. I loved it. I kinda want to go back to Dec. 21 and do it all over again. Oh well... life goes on!
Here's to a great first week back at school (hopefully!)!
I'm not one to make New Year's resolutions. Let's be honest...how often do people really stick to them? I've decided to change my ways a little this year and give it a try. I don't think my resolutions are unreasonable, but it will take a little work and a lot of will power. Here goes...short and sweet:
1. stop biting my nails. It's a disgusting habit that I've had nearly all my life. I've tried numerous times to stop, but it never fails...everytime I stop, it's only a matter of days before something will make me nervous or stressed, and I start it up once again. Why can't I just QUIT? My nails are rather strong and grow rapidly if I just allow them to do so. Ever since I began teaching, I became extremely aware of how easily germs are spread, and some would even say that I'm OCD about washing my hands. So, the time has come my friends. No more nail biting.
2. I'm not going to say the usual resolution of "go on a diet" or "lose weight." Sure, I'd love to drop a couple around my middle area (who doesn't want to, right?) , but I'm taking a different approach. I already exercise fairly regularly and I don't eat bad. So, I'm going to try to just exercise more (maybe training for a 1/2 marathon would be a good motivator!) and snack less....snacking is DEFINITELY my problem. If I can stick to these little rules, maybe I well shed a couple. I'm planning on taking a beach trip with my friend, Heather, when we get out of school in May. I guess I better go ahead and start thinking about "bathing suit season" NOW (YUCK!!!).
Notice: my resolution is NOT to 'give up Mexican food'...I'm not stupid enough to think that I could actually stick to that one. Duh.
3. be more selfless. Enough said.
Looking back at these, I'm realizing that they're not so "short and sweet" as I said they would be...sorry about that. But, I think they're good and reasonable resolutions, don't you? We'll see what happens.
Finally, I must tell you where I spent an hour of my afternoon today. JR had the brilliant idea to take me to a baseball park so we could 'throw a baseball'. Me? THROW A BASEBALL? WHAT? I haven't held a glove since I played softball back in the day..(no, I'm not posting a picture from way back when...don't get any ideas MSKS). But, he wanted to do it desperately, and I wasn't opposed to it, so we went. After all, the weather was unseasonably warm today, so I definitely wanted to be outside. Max came along too and he ran around the field the entire time. He was in heaven. I look forward to one day actually having a yard for my pup.
Mental picture for you: me...baseball hat...baseball glove in hand...acting like I knew what I was doing. Don't worry, I warned him of what I thought was a lack-of-ability before we began, but he claims he was impressed! Haha. I was sure he'd get so frustrated with me by the end of our afternoon. Instead, he used every possible opportunity as a learning experience, and I think he actually enjoyed acting as though he was my coach. What a patient person he is.
He said that we're going to the batting cage next time.
Hmmm...we'll see about that.
Have a great week!
LT

6 comments:

Unknown said...

baseball is in our blood.

duh.

Tell the kids H-dog says hi.

Anonymous said...

you MUST take pictures at the batting cage.

you're cute and i miss you.

The Manning Family said...

Hope your first days back at school have been going well. I remember those well, the kids are still on break and the teachers are just as 'excited' to be back as they are! ;) Each January, my kids and I would start a spring break countdown on one of my boards, and one particular student was responsible for changing it everyday. It gave us a good start to class. Then after that, we'd start a 'School's Out' countdown. It gave me something to look forward to as well. Hang in there girl!

The Texas VicHorns said...

I love the mental picture of you with a baseball helment on.

Jenny said...

batting cages?? huh!?:)

just kidding! i bet you're really cute.

i miss you something silly, so come by and see me sometime if you head this way to see cute little henry.:)

hope school is going well...it's been crazy this week! countdown to march!

love you!!!!!!

Regina said...

I hope you survived your first day back to school! Life is so crazy when school starts, I wanna go back to Christmas break....

I hope you don't mind, I added a link to your blog, I check in every day cuz you make me smile and sometimes belly laugh, yep belly laugh and I am tired of going through Jenny's site to get to yours. Hope you mind, promise I am not a real stalker, just a tired mom that enjoys laughing at your funniness, is that a word? Oh well...