Happy Birthday Mary Straton!
So, MSKS is not new to my blog. She was my first friend (we were 2 when we "met"!) and even still, she's one of my very dearest friends in life. I am blessed to know this girl and I'm grateful for our friendship!
This picture has appeared on my blog before, but I'm posting it again. It's from our kindergarten play. MSKS was Little Bo Peep and I was Little Miss Muffet. We're pretty cute huh? I have this picture framed in my house. It serves as a reminder of our long friendship and the innocence that we both used to possess! :) ...followed by the most recent pic of us--from Kate's wedding last weekend...Last year, I compiled an A-Z list about why I love this girl. This year, as she's turning the big 2-9, I've created a list of 29 more reasons why I love her--in no particular order, of course.
1. As I mentioned, she was my very first friend. We've been best friends now for 27 years. That's A LONG time!
"It takes a long time to grow an old friend." ~John Leonard
2. She's probably my most honest friend. She says exactly what she's thinking, which is usually a good thing! :)
"A friend can tell you things you don't want to tell yourself." ~Frances Ward Weller
3. She's very straightforward about everything. She doesn't sugar coat.
"Only your real friends will tell you when your face is dirty." ~Sicilian Proverb
4. She lets me tag along with her and Kell.
ex. Me last year: "MSKS, I'm thinking about not going to our class reunion. I mean, I don't really want to go date-less!"
MSKS: "Oh, you don't have a choice with this one. You ARE going with me and Kell, even if we have to come to your house and drag you out kicking and screaming!"
Did I go with them? Yep. Am I glad I did? Absolutely!
5. She's very fashionable. She always looks cute. Always.
6. She's very smart--a whole lot smarter than me!
7. She's a loyal weight-watcher, but she's not scared to save up her WW points for a piece (or 2!) of wedding cake!
8. She invited me to go to Destin with her family every single summer when we were younger.
9. Her family is my second family. Not only have when been BFF for so many years, but her mom was my first grade teacher, and she's still my 2nd mom!
10. She's extremely talented and very creative. I've always been just sorta, kinda, a little jealous of her for this.
11. And while we're talking about my jealousy, she's got THE coolest job ever. She gets to travel all over the world. Again--jealous.
12. We have the same sense of humor. We both love "The Office" and "Waiting for Guffman".
13. For the most part, MSKS and I are as different as night and day. Those who know us best can attest to this. I think it makes our friendship more fun though.
14. We can go weeks without talking, but it doesn't change anything. We're able to pick right back up where we left off!
"Silences make the real conversations between friends. Not the saying but the never needing to say is what counts." ~Margaret Lee Runbeck
15. She's has a cool taste in music (except for the whole "I think George Strait is an old redneck" thing...).
16. We pretty much know everything about each other. I'm pretty sure I was one of the first people she told after she got her first kiss and vice versa. I also remember getting the phone call from her right after she got engaged! Good times... We've also been through some pretty tough times together. Those times made me appreciate her even more!
"We have been friends together in sunshine and in shade."~Caroline Sheridan Norton
17. She's a blogger!
18. She didn't make me wear an ugly bridesmaids dress in her wedding. :)
19. She has a bazillion friends.
20. She married a pretty great guy, which is a good thing, because I'm not sure I would've allowed her to marry anything less than the best!
21. She's an animal lover, like myself! We both love our dogs!
22. She always makes me laugh. Her sarcastic sense of humor is one of her best traits!
23. She hates to exercise, but still manages to somehow stay fit and look fabulous. (I hate her for this, really).
24. She's one of my most dependable friends. I can count on her for ANYTHING.
25. She's definitely any easy person to like (see #19).
26. As a child, I used to fall asleep by, NOT holding a baby doll or blanket, but by holding somebody's hair. She hated it when we used to spend the night together, but she still usually allowed me to hold her hair at night! :)
27. She's got fabulous hair.
28. I know that, no matter what, she's that friend who'll remain friends with me for the rest of my life. I love her.
29. Because of each of these things, she's -hands down- one of my favorite people on this earth. Period.
"Friendship isn't a big thing-it's a million little things." -Author Unknown
HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!