Sunday, March 8, 2009

TWO cute boys, yummy chicken salad, and SPRING(??)

Hey friends! I hope your Sunday afternoon has been as enjoyable as mine!
Saturday we had a Kid's Fair/Book Fair at my school. Henry was at my parents' this weekend, so he got to join in on the fun. We were also so glad to see my buddy Camp there with his dad! Camp is a year older than Henry, and I've already decided that when Henry moves here next year, he and Camp will be forced friends. :) Are they not 2 of the cutest boys you've ever seen?
They were so cooperative about sitting still long enough to snap a few pics (notice Camp holding Henry's hand. He said he wanted to "help" Henry. Adorable).

...and here are a few more of the little man. His grandaddy bought him a new MSU hat while he was here. Can you tell how obsessed he is? He would barely even take it off, as you can probably tell. Love him.
My dear friend MSKS is always so loyal about posting yummy recipes, and while I'm definitely not going to attempt to compete with her, I DO have a very simple and very low fat recipe for chicken salad. Now, I'm going to be honest, I sort of made up the recipe myself, so I'm not providing measurements of the ingredients. I hope that doesn't turn you off from trying it!
Ingredients:
1.Boiled chicken cut into chunks, or shredded. I personally prefer it shredded, as it seems to be easier to scoop with a cracker.
2.Fat free plain yogurt (Yoplait, Dannon, etc). This is used instead of mayo. It gives the same consistency as mayo, but without all of the unnecessary fat.
3.Diced purple onion
4.Chopped grapes
5.Sliced almonds
(Of course there are many more ingredients that can be added to chicken salad if you desire. This is just how I like it!).
Simply mix all of the above ingredients together and season to taste. (I usually sprinkle salt, pepper, lemon pepper, and cucumber salt).
I make this often because I can eat on it for a couple of days and it's perfect for my school lunch. Allow me to also recommend eating with Triscuits...my personal fave. AND, if you're pinching pennies like me, I encourage you to try the Kroger brand Triscuits (they're called "Weavers"). They taste exactly the same to me and they're a good bit cheaper! I have also started buying Kroger brand Wheat Thins, and I personally like them better than the name brand! Trust me and try them!
Finally, I.LOVE.THIS.WEATHER. It got up to 80 degrees here yesterday and it felt GREAT. I know it's probably wishful thinking to say that the cold weather is behind us, but oh how I'm ready for spring!
I keep my kitchen table set year round. I have different settings for different season/holidays throughout the year. Make fun of me if you'd like...I'm used to it. ANYWAY, my table is all ready to go for spring/summer! I even picked up a pretty bouquet of tulips at Kroger today. There's just something about having fresh flowers in your house, don't you think? And tulips are my absolute favorite, so that makes me even happier.

Have a wonderful week! I'm down to my last week before Spring Break! HALLELUJAH!

8 comments:

The Overstreets said...

Camp loved seeing you and Henry!!!

Melanie said...

Love your table!!! Very pretty

Anonymous said...

I love it that throughout the lifespan of your blog, you probably have 18 posts and subsequent pictures about flowers on your kitchen table. I love it. And I love your apartment.

-claire

Brandy Parker said...

LOVE your table setting! So pretty. Here's hoping this last week flies by...

Anonymous said...

I love your "It's the times in your life" quote on the side of your page..where is that from?

Anonymous said...

Where do you find cucumber salt? I would like to try that.

LT (and Max) said...

anonymous1- the quote was given to me from a friend just today actually. i loved it too and put it on my blog immediately. not sure who actually said it though.

anonymous2- i'm pretty sure cucumber salt can be found at any grocery store. it's weird how i don't ever remember buying it but i also don't ever remember NOT having it. hmmmm... the chicken salad really is good. hope you enjoy it!

The Andersons said...

Henry is SO cute!!! Love you friend! :)